On this page you'll find:
- An overview of the day
- A timetable
- Reasons to volunteer
- Who can volunteer
- Information on the OxFizz staff running this day
- Travel information, and;
- Other logistical information
On Sunday 8th July, our volunteers are delivering Interview Skills Workshops for girls from the Girls Day Schools Trust (GDST).
The GDST is a group of 25 independent girls schools. Each year they run a weekend at the Clare College Conferencing Centre, where they invite girls from across their network to work on their university applications. Our workshops form a part of this broader weekend.
We run unique Interview Skills Workshops, which we have years of experiencing delivering. The workshop is run by OxFizz staff and volunteers in combination, and aims to: introduce students to the interview process, introduce them to a range of personal experiences, and help them analyse and practice approaching difficult questions.
There is a full volunteer guide to the workshop content below.
This is a fundraising opportunity; in return for helping, volunteers will raise money for a charity of their choice.
Our Interview Skills Workshops last 90 minutes, and each volunteer will ideally deliver two workshops over the course of the day:
The timetable is as follows:
- 10.00am: Arrival
- 10.00am - 11.30am: Interview Skills Workshop 1
- 11.30am - 11.50am: Coffee break
- 11.50am - 13.20pm: Interview Skills Workshop 2
- 13.20pm - 14.00pm: Lunch
Please note that the sessions are taking place in the Clare College Conferencing Centre, not the main Clare College building.
3. Why volunteer
- Fundraising. This is one of the first fundraising opportunities of the 2018 year, and is an excellent way to get started raising money for a cause close to your heart. You can read more here about the excellent charities our volunteers have supported in the past.
- Career Skills. This is a chance to develop and refine skills that may be useful in your career – public speaking, confidence, organisation, time management, leadership, action planning and creativity
- Enjoyable. As well as useful for the students, these sessions can be some of the most enjoyable to run. They are lively, interactive, rewarding, and fun.
- Motivated students. We have worked with girls from the GDST for years, and they're really enthusiastic and motivated by their university applications.
- Free lunch! We'll be treated to a lovely lunch in Clare College
4. Who can volunteer
We recognise that workshop delivery can be daunting. However, this will become easier with practice and training, and we will provide support to anyone who is interested in volunteering on this day. We think the following makes a good workshop leader:
- Good public speaker
This will give you general advice on how to deliver workshops, as well as introducing you to the workshop outline and activities.
In addition to this, you will have a prompt sheet available to use on the day, to remind you of the structure of the workshop and keep you on track. And, there will be optional powerpoint presentation set up in your room, which you can use if helpful.
6. Who’s running this day
This day will be run by Lee, our Volunteering Coordinator. If you have any questions about the day, please do not hesitate to be in touch. He is also reachable on: 07464 631970
Also at the event from OxFizz will be Zoe, our CEO, and Katie, our Digital Products Developer (and GDST alumni). They will be on hand during the day should you have any questions or queries.
Please arrive to the day by 10.00am, for the start of the first session.
The nearest station is Cambridge which is reachable via Greater Anglia from Liverpool Street or Kings Cross. It is then a 15 - 20 minute journey is a taxi to the Conference Centre.
Please note that we will cover reasonable travel expenses (let us know if they will exceed £40). Keep any receipts or evidence of travel and hand them in on the day, along with your bank details.
8. Other logistics
As mentioned above, lunch will be provided by the GDST. There will also be a coffee break during the day with refreshments.
The dress code is smart casual, please.
We will cover all volunteer printing. Please tell us if you require anything extra printed.