On this page you'll find:
- An overview of the day
- A timetable
- Reasons to volunteer
- Who can volunteer
- Information on the OxFizz staff running this day
- Travel information, and;
- Other logistical information
On this day, our volunteers are delivering admission test workshops to girls from Guildford High School.
We're seeing an increased reliance on admissions tests across all colleges and faculties at Oxbridge, and many strong applicants are falling at this hurdle.
Our admissions test workshops aim to help students understand the function and format of admissions tests; understand what skills admission test tutors are looking for; understand what techniques are important for admissions tests; and analyse and practice the types of questions they will face.
This is a fundraising opportunity; in return for helping, volunteers will raise money for a charity of their choice.
Our admission test workshops last 90 minutes, and we will also be delivering some bespoke 'Feedback Workshops' at the end of the day.
The timetable is as follows:
- 8.45am: Arrival
- 9.15am - 10.45am: Admission test workshop
- 10.45am - 11.15am: Coffee Break
- 11.15am - 13.15pm: Girls sit practice admission test in exam conditions; we prepare for our 'Feedback Workshop'
- 13.15pm - 14.00pm: Lunch
- 14.00pm 16.00pm: 'Feedback Workshop', reviewing answers, writing action plans
3. Why volunteer
- Fundraising. This is one of the first fundraising opportunities of the 2018 year, and is an excellent way to get started raising money for a cause close to your heart. You can read more here about the excellent charities our volunteers have supported in the past.
- Career Skills. This is a chance to develop and refine skills that may be useful in your career – public speaking, confidence, organisation, time management, leadership, action planning and creativity
- Enjoyable. As well as useful for the students, these sessions can be some of the most enjoyable to run. They are lively, interactive, rewarding, and fun.
- Free lunch! We'll be treated to a lovely lunch in Guildford's canteen.
4. Who can volunteer
We recognise that workshop delivery can be daunting. However, this will become easier with practice and training, and we will provide support to anyone who is interested in volunteering on this day. We think the following makes a good workshop leader:
- Good public speaker
We have prepared a comprehensive training guide for our Interview Skills workshops, which is available to volunteers on request.
This will give you general advice on how to deliver workshops, as well as introducing you to the workshop outline and activities.
In addition to this, you will have a prompt sheet available to use on the day, to remind you of the structure of the workshop and keep you on track. And, there will be optional powerpoint presentation set up in your room, which you can use if helpful.
6. Who’s running this day
This day will be run by Lee, our Volunteering Coordinator. If you have any questions about the day, please do not hesitate to be in touch. He is also reachable on: 07464 631970
Also at the event from OxFizz will be Zoe, our CEO, and Bronte, our Schools and Parents Liaison. They will be on hand during the day should you have any questions or queries.
Please arrive to the day by 8.45am, in good time for the beginning of your first workshop.
The nearest overground station is London Road (Guildford) which is reachable via South Western Railway and Thameslink. It is then a quick walk to the school. Alternatively, there is parking available at the school on request.
Please note that we will cover reasonable travel expenses (let us know if they will exceed £40). Keep any receipts or evidence of travel and hand them in on the day, along with your bank details.
8. Other logistics
As mentioned above, lunch will be provided by Guildford High School. There will also be teas and coffees available throughout the day.
The dress code is smart casual, please.
We will cover all volunteer printing. Please tell us if you require anything extra printed.